Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Dial up Internet? Still?

Home again, home again, jiggity jog.

It's always good to go, but so much better to come home. Florida was lovely, with only 2 lousy weather days.

Biblical rain has followed us these past few weeks.  We brought New Orleans torrential rains. I'd never been wetter.  It stormed the week between trips in Mayberry as well, with weather warning blowing as we left on our drive down south. No point sticking around to watch bad weather.

My parents rarely travelled for recreation, but when they did my father was in full comand.  The order of the day was to leave before sun up, drive several hours then stop for breakfast.  After we ate, the only stops were for gas, until mid afternoon.  Then we stop for the night at a highway motel, swim, eat and crash.

I inherited my father's predilection for leaving early, it likely made sense in pre-a/c equppied cars, but Mrs. T dsabused of that notion.  Now, we leave whenever it's convenient, usually mid afternoon.  Stopping as necessary so we  hit Atlanta in time for rush hour and enjoy the ride.  I like our way better.

We drove to Captiva, Florida which lies slightly west of Ft. Myers arriving just in time to pick up Mrs. T's 2 sons at the local airport. We did little while there other than eat (at home), lie in the sun and recover from a long winter. I won't bore you with "we had more fun than you" because we didn't. None the less it was a glorious and sorely needed vacation.

I'm glad to be home though.  It's snowing as I write this, but surrounded by the dogs, my toys and the comforts of home I don't care.  It's good to go, it's better to return.  I think I'll curl up with the Odyssey. 

PS:  Driving 2500 miles dependant upon local radio stations made me recall the days when FM radio was a radical idea.  Where else could you hear Janis Joplin or The Chambers Brothers on the radio.  Like too much else the money boys FU'ed fm radio too, turning into the AM goo FM was meant to subvert. Having to endure 4+ days of mindless 3 minute pop, my head is about to explode.  Next time I hear Happy someone may get hurt.




I am glad you're here.  Many thanks

Toad

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back and glad you had a great time. :) - KT

sue in mexico mo said...

I have two favorite places, in addition to home, in this world. Sanibel/Captiva is one and Zihuatanejo, Mexico is the other. I go to Sanibel almost every year. We go to Captiva several times while we are there. We are always in search of the best key lime pie! :)

LPC said...

We're "happy" you're back:).

Patsy said...

Welcome back!

We used to do a marathon car trip pre-ac twice a year. Inevitably, the car would overheat and my father would have to turn on the heater to "draw the heat off the engine." Good times.......

Anonymous said...

That's why I subscribe to satellite radio.

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Sounds like a pleasant break for you and your wife. As for this particular tune (and I admit, it's my first time hearing it), it ain't bad. Of course anything can be played to death on the radio these days (and is), but this tune actually has melody, a good beat (without straying into that godawful, repetitive, and tired hiphop/rap overamplified bass drum ting), and it's intro even calls to mind some of the great 60s soul tunes. Just my to cents. We'll forget the lyrics for now.

Best Regards,

Heinz-Ulrich von B.