Friday, May 10, 2013

Gatsby


I took in an early matinee and save for a few continuity snafus, and the likelihood you could read the book in less time than the movie runs, I liked it. I'll share a few comments.

1. Leo DiCaprio is Gorgeous.  I never realized how good looking he is.

2.  You are likely to better enjoy the movie if you erase any preconceived notions you brought outside the theatre.  Pretend you never read or had heard of The Great Gatsby, see it with an open mind.

3. The women and their costumes are a treat.

4.  I do not believe I have ever seen a movie in which the men's clothing fit so poorly, especially the shirts and jackets.  For a while I believed this was on purpose, but I couldn't understand Daisy becoming worked up over ill fitting shirts.  Nothing was tailored, and it became distracting.

4.  The film, while not Great, was much better than I hoped, and unworthy of most of its bad reviews as long as you do not take the film seriously.

Enjoy, it's worth the $4

Toad.

5 comments:

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Thanks for the review. TO be honest, it did not look like a movie I would see, especially once I heard the director took some poetic license with the book. I may have to see it now and follow your directions.

Have a great weekend.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Oh dear man, you are asking too much of us. I'd ordinarily tie on a blindfold and follow you into a burning building, but not this time. The best thing about this disaster of a movie is the promise/hope of another interpretation in a decade or so. Another reason to go to the gym.

Did you see these? I'd have to open up the back and close up that point, square up that end.
http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/blockstripedsilkknitneckties.aspx

Happy Mother's Day from our house to yours!

-Flo

Toad said...

Happy Mothers Day to each and all.

I understand your thoughts on G. It certainly lacks F. Scott, but at face value it is somewhat entertaining

Shelley said...

$4?? I'm so envious...try £8! Not a fan of Leo, but looking forward to the clothes!

Chez Laurel said...

Four dollars? Are you kidding? More like $14 here in Seattle for a matinee with a senior discount.