Monday, April 2, 2012

RMS Titanic leaves Belfast

On May 31,1911 the RMS Titanic slid into the waters of Belfast's Victoria Channel for the first time. Aided by 23 tons of soap, oil and tallow, along with the aid of gravity it took 62 seconds to hit the water. It took nearly a year to kit her out, and make ready for life at sea.

On this date in 1912, Titanic began her maiden voyage to Southampton, and into infamy. The Belfast "News Letter" wrote that day, "The mammoth vessel presented an impressive and picturesque spectacle, looking perfect from keel to truck...and the latest triumph of the shipbuilders' art then left for Southampton, carrying with her the best wishes of the citizens of Belfast"

Toad





6 comments:

Linda McMullan said...

Why is it that the story of the Titanic continues to hold us in thrall? The tragic loss of so many innocent lives in the dark of the night? The immediate loss of an intricate and immense object that took years to build?

Sometimes at night when I can't go back to sleep, I work out an escape plan from the Titanic...always works, and I wake up happy in my own bed.

Barbara said...

I'm a sucker for Titanic tales...the written word, on TV...anyplace.

Toad said...

The tale of the Titanic has all the classic elements of a great story. Heroism, valor, hubris,prejudice, class distinctions, love and death. It's Greek mythology writ large.

Gatsby pales in comparison.

preppyplayer said...

Another example of the Irish always hoping for the best..

Not to change the subject, but...

I am wishing I was in New Orleans!
Maybe it is all the hoopla surrounding the final Four or wanting to eat beignets in Jackson Square among all the spring flowers OR that I always associate you with my favorite city! All I know is, whenever I read your blog I start to daydream about the Big Easy.

Toad said...

I've my bride half way talked into a trip to the Big Easy this weekend. I can't see it happening, but am hopeful

Pigtown*Design said...

when i was in england last month, they were showing a documentary on the titanic. people had souvenirs of working at the shipyard, and pieces of rivets, etc. one story was about someone whose grandfather had given them a penny and said to keep it until he came back from the maiden voyage, but he never did. they still have the penny.