Friday, November 25, 2011

Public Service Announcement

Move Over.

I'm not going into detail about how I come to be such an authority on this but I learned something while away. I learned about the Move Over Law, and that 70% of the drivers in the US have never heard of it.

Simply, Move Over is legislated good manners. The many variations of the law state that IF an emergency vehicle is stopped at the side of the road THEN a driver MUST either change lanes to be away from the vehicle or slow to 20 MPH below the posted speed limit. The penalty for failure to comply is steep. Thankfully, I have no personal experience with such matters.

If you are travelling the highways and biways this long weekend, be careful, have fun, move over.

Toad

6 comments:

Silk Regimental said...

my son is in law enforcement - and "move over" is essential and required.

Living the life in The Little City said...

It's a good law.

Linda McMullan said...

I did not know that. I always Move Over out of instinct, but didn't know it is law!

Wish there was a Move Over law for vehicles in the "fast" lane on the interstates that insist on going slower than everyone else while talking on their cellphone...

Old Polo said...

Texas has both "move over for emergency vehicles and move over if you're sleeping in the fast lane". Ofcourse,in my experience at least, those sleeping in the fast lane or talking/texting/whatever in the fast lane don't really care if there is a law that applies to them or not. Even if it is posted about every five miles.

Anonymous said...

The fast lane is for psychopaths.

ADG said...

Thank you...thank you...thank you. And one more thing. It took me a trip back home to nowwhereseville to be reminded that gentle folk in small towns, still pull over when a funeral procession goes by. People here inside the Beltway don't seem to do it anymore. But they DO just their cars out into oncoming traffic in disregard of the proverbial "left hand turn yields to oncoming traffic"

Damn. I need a cigarette.