Monday, July 18, 2011

A Stranger in a Strange Land

It's summer it's supposed to be hot, and the gods of weather have bestowed heat. Taking full advantage of all the weather has to offer Liz and I have decided to play tourist. I get a staycation, Paige gets to see Mayberry.

I have a hidden agenda. There are things to do and places to see in Mayberry that I couldn't find with a map. Places I've never been or haven't been in many years, so I think this may be a great time to find them, so long as my traveling buddy is willing.

We began at Laumeier Sculpture Park, a 96 acre outdoor sculpture museum. It's an incredible hidden treasure. We went to see an exhibit called the Dog Days of Summer, sculpture made for pets and their people. After walking for miles we found the best exhibits in the indoor gallery (read a/c), next to the parking lot.

Then we visited the Dr. Richard Schwartz observatory at the University of Missouri, St. Louis. That was a tough sell, and most probably a major disappointment. That didn't really look like any photo of Saturn she'd ever seen. Damn Hubble telescope!

We had to see Harry. In fact, Liz's visit was almost postponed so that she could see Part 2 with family and friends at home. No review is necessary, you're either going or not going whatever I say.

Today and everyday the pool. I have a date with a young lady on a paddle boat, on the lake, this afternoon. 36C and 70 % humidity. My eyeballs fog going outside. If this doesn't kill me, nothing will. I'm having a ball.

Toad

4 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

Looks like you are having a wonderful time!

Bruce Barone said...

Wonderful!!!

Gail, northern California said...

Isn't it funny how it's when we have out-of-town guests that we visit places in our own backyard? We have what is called the Skunk Train that travels through the redwoods. Half-way takes you to Northspur for lunch. Round trip and it's all the way to the Pacific Ocean. I've been twice...when we had company and one of those trips was for...you guessed it! Our granddaughters. ;-) Hang in there, Toad. They keep us young.

Shelley said...

There is nothing quite like being a tourist in your own home town. It's one of the things Bill loves best about having 'colonial' visitors - showing off his part of the world. Have a happy summer!