Monday, July 25, 2011

Home?



If the kids can leave the nest, why not mom and dad? After the second bottle of wine, Mrs. T and I occassionally fall into the "where do you want to live" discussion. Near water, where winters are bearable, and summers no worse than Mayberry. Naturally, low taxes, low cost of living, abundant recreational opportunities come into play. Near an airport, and with high speed internet round out the first cut.

Somewhere South, but nowhere obvious. Somewhere one may wear seersucker and linen 6 months a year. No where in particular. Then one morning coffee in hand scanning Google reader, there it was. Home. Just like Natalie Wood's Christmas wish in Miracle on 34th Street.

Do you read Between Naps on the Porch? If not, do. Susan has an unerring eye for detail, and a southern woman's knack for good story telling. A while back she visited Isle of Hope, Georgia outside Savannah. Her 2 part story makes Isle of Hope Look like Disneyland for adults. Of course we've never been there but I'm already clearing out the garage, preparing for the agents tour.

If I hadn't another cross country tour planned I grab my bride and head there tomorrow, of course Savannah may not show itself best in summer. Now if we wait until fall....

Toad

I've ordered the first 7 volumes of A Dance to the Music of Time.

4 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

I picked the town we live in because we saw it at Christmas time and it reminded me of something like The Preacher's Wife and other quaint seasonal movies :O)

I have learned tho, we can be happy or miserable anywhere.

Anonymous said...

I'm from Savannah, but decided on Amelia Island. We'd love to have you here!

Bob said...

I read with shock, yesterday, that you and Mrs. T
were perhaps considering a move to Georgia. You will never regret moving to Georgia. Hurry up and pack up, and come join us!

Our winters as you know are mild, unlike KC & the midwest. We have been known to wear bermuda shorts on Christmas Day before drinks as fresh oysters and shrimp are consumed before the big feast!!!

Anonymous said...

How fortunate for you that you have so many delightful possibilities to muse over!