Monday, December 14, 2009

Second floors


Chiropractors are thick on the ground in Mayberry. One of the few Chiropractic colleges is located here, and it seems young students come, like it and won't go away. Which has its good and bad points.

Certainly, its good for commercial real estate. Young professionals saddled with debt appear to prefer to hang out their own shingle rather than team up. It's better for business I suspect.

For a long time, I thought it was peculiar to Mayberry that a large number of crack a backs chose to locate on the second floor of strip malls and roadside commercial properties. I suspect the rents are cheaper than street level, which works out pretty well as long as you don't trouble to concern yourself about your patients needs.

Now put yourself in the patient's shoes, or perhaps you are a shoe wearing patient. You've been hurt, you're in pain. Your back's killing, so what do you do? Dig out the Yellow Pages, remember them?, and look for a Crack a Back nearby. Ya make an appointment, show up a few minutes early, get out of the car and look at the steps.

If you could climb the steps, you wouldn't need a doctor.

As I said, I thought this may have been a local phenomenon, that is until I Googled images for "2nd floor Chiropractors". There are hundreds if not thousands of images.

Somewhere you would think they would teach these kids how to run a business, wouldn't you?

Toad

12 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

Oh my gosh I actually choked on my Ovaltine as I read this! It is so true! LOL!

And strangely...my little town has quite a number of chiros too - fortunately mine is on the ground floor!

Toad said...

You are incredibly lucky.

preppyplayer said...

Really, too funny! So glad to have you back and love the header.

James said...

I like your holiday picture!, you were right if we did away with everything outrageous, they'd just make more.

preppyplayer said...

You have an award on my blog :)

Toad said...

Thank you Preppyplayer!!!!!!!!!

M.Lane said...

I guess they don't teach any more about business in chiropractic school than in law or medical schools! This was a very funny post, thanks.

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

ADG said...

Duke offers a dual MD-MBA...I had two surgeons in the second Masters program that I was in. I suspect that the BackCrackers like to keep their patients stressed from the climb. Dastardly business model but cunning none the less.

Kim said...

We, too, are home to a chiropractic college (Life) and they are on every corner here, usually on the second floor. But I never noticed until now.

john in nc said...

on the same order as heating pads at the pharmacy are on the lowest shelf ...

prashant said...

..my little town has quite a number of chiros too - fortunately mine is on the ground floor!

Work from home India

kanishk said...

you were right if we did away with everything outrageous, they'd just make more.

Wagyu Steaks